Earlier this month, an announcement from Danco Laboratories – the U.S. manufacturer of the abortion pill – stated the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will now allow retail pharmacies to dispense the dangerous drug to women.
The FDA’s decision to allow the sale of abortion pill at pharmacies was another irresponsible step that will widen the availability of this drug across the nation. It means that big pharmacies and corner drugstores, such as Walgreens and CVS, will now be able to provide the pills to their customers.
The Effect of Easy Access Abortion Drugs
This does not mean, however, that medication abortion is free on demand as a prescription is required. Yet, Walgreens and CVS have already announced that they will begin selling it in states where it is currently legal to do so. Other pharmacies are also considering doing the same.
Online abortion companies have been making huge profits from the sales of the abortion pill through mail orders since the overturning of Roe v. Wade by making it easy for women to obtain the drug without seeking an appointment with a medical professional and bypassing any healthcare provider insight.
Sadly, this practice has already had a devastating impact on women across the country. Now, with the option to obtain a prescription and walk down to the corner drugstore, the impact threatens to consume the female population.
Will Retail Pharmacies Begin Dispensing the Deadly Drug?
According to a report by the New York Times, “For the first time, retail pharmacies, from corner drugstores to major chains like CVS and Walgreens, will be allowed to offer abortion pills in the United States under a regulatory change made [January 3rd] by the Food and Drug Administration. The action could significantly expand access to abortion through medication.”
Although the pharmacy chains said they would begin offering the drug in stores and through mail order, they did not provide a timeline or specify when or where they would start doing so. They noted that they would follow laws in states that have restrictions on abortion or ban it.
The Pharmacy Agreement
The Pharmacy Agreement states, “Pharmacies must designate an authorized representative to carry out the certification process and oversee implementation and compliance with the Mifepristone REMS Program on behalf of the pharmacy.
Healthcare settings, such as medical offices, clinics, and hospitals, where mifepristone will be dispensed by or under the supervision of a certified prescriber in the Mifepristone REMS Program do not require pharmacy certification.”
Some of the requirements include the following:
- Verify that the prescriber is certified in the Mifepristone REMS Program by confirming their completed Prescriber Agreement Form was received with the prescription or is on file with your pharmacy.
- Report any patient deaths to the prescriber, including the NDC and lot number from the package of Mifeprex dispensed to the patient, and remind the prescriber of their obligation to report the deaths to Danco Laboratories, LLC. Notify Danco that your pharmacy submitted a report of death to the prescriber, including the name and contact information for the prescriber and the NDC and lot number of the dispensed product.
- Not distribute, transfer, loan or sell mifepristone except to certified prescribers or other locations of the pharmacy.
- Track and verify receipt of each shipment of Mifeprex.
- Dispense mifepristone in its package as supplied by Danco Laboratories, LLC.
- Train all relevant staff on the Mifepristone REMS Program requirements.
- Comply with audits carried out by the Mifepristone Sponsors or a third party acting on behalf of the Mifepristone Sponsors to ensure that all processes and procedures are in place and are being followed.
Since its approval in 2000, the abortion pill has taken almost 5 MILLION preborn lives making it undoubtedly, the greatest threat of our time.
What This Means for Greater Phoenix
As pro-abortion activists continue to fight for so-called bodily autonomy and abortion pills on-demand, the pro-life movement has gone quiet.
For almost four decades, we marched, we rallied, we fought for political offices, we prayed, and we gave time and resources to our leaders and community ministries in the hope of reversing the wave of damage created by Roe v. Wade. And when Roe was overturned, we shouted “VICTORY!” from the rooftops and celebrated.
But the true battle for LIFE has only begun.
With the threat of increased danger that will follow the dispensing of abortion pills at retail pharmacies, we must increase our awareness and resources in the Greater Phoenix area through the Abortion Pill Reversal program.
Now is not the time to shy away from helping women and preborn babies. Now is the time to be ready for them when they call late at night, desperate to undo the decision they made hours before to end their pregnancy with a mail-order abortion pill.
Yes, reversal is possible. Yes, we have seen it done in our own centers. We have heard the fears and wiped the tears of women wanting a second chance. And we have seen the joy exuberating from within when they finally hear a faint heartbeat at their follow-up ultrasound appointment, telling them that the reversal was successful and their baby has a chance at life.
Our mission has always been simple:
Women Deserve Better. Babies Deserve a Chance.
Walk alongside us and become a part of the change, giving hope and spreading the truth to the women, babies, and families in the Greater Phoenix area.
A donation of $109 will provide one woman the chance to save her baby’s heartbeat and restore her heart through an Abortion Pill Reversal. What is $109 worth to you? It’s worth everything to her.