Facing a possible pregnancy can be overwhelming and emotional. On top of that, finding the best kind of pregnancy test can also feel confusing because there are many different options.
If you are questioning whether you might be pregnant, a reliable pregnancy test is crucial. But which kind of testing can you depend on for accurate results?
There are pros and cons to consider depending on which method of testing you choose. Choices Pregnancy Centers can help you navigate this process, and keep you informed on the best methods for testing.
Home Pregnancy Tests:
- There are a few advantages to using home pregnancy tests. They are easy to purchase, relatively inexpensive, and can be used in the privacy of your home.
- Home pregnancy tests detect the hormone hCG, which is found in the urine after a fertilized egg has implanted in the uterus, and are fairly accurate.
- The test’s accuracy depends mostly on timing. For most pregnancy tests you would wait until the first day of a missed period. There are some highly sensitive tests that can be used even earlier.
- A test’s sensitivity is defined as the lowest amount of hCG it can detect, 99% of the time. Tests are less accurate the earlier you take them.
- While home pregnancy tests are often accurate, they are not 100% reliable. There can be cases of false positives as well as false negatives.
Lab Pregnancy Tests:
- A lab test is by far the most reliable. With a lab test, you can find out for sure whether or not you are pregnant and how far along the pregnancy is.
- While the privacy and convenience of home tests are tempting, there are downsides to this method. A potential pregnancy is not a situation you should face alone. Choices Pregnancy Centers are there not only to help you find answers concerning pregnancy but to provide support and guidance as you face the next steps.
In the event that you are pregnant, Choices can help you understand what is happening inside your body, answer questions, keep you informed, and help you formulate a plan moving forward.
Once a pregnancy is confirmed, the next step is to schedule an ultrasound. This is an important tool for discovering the viability of the pregnancy, how far along you are (with way more accuracy), and “seeing” images of your baby and hearing a heartbeat!
At Choices, a licensed medical professional will complete the ultrasound, and a compassionate Choices advocate will answer your questions, discuss your options, and help you plan the next steps.
Don’t Face it Alone
If you think you might be pregnant, you don’t have to keep it to yourself. Choices is here to offer confidential and judgment-free help, support, and guidance through every step of your pregnancy. Don’t let financial concerns keep you from giving us a call or scheduling an appointment. We offer no-cost pregnancy tests and ultrasounds. Insurance is not required, and confidentiality is always honored. Contact us with any questions or concerns, or schedule an appointment today.